VO: This is GSN The Know. The most informed and entertained blog in United States of America. Now, from the WIlton-North buliding, here's the man about games, Pierre Kelly.
Me: You try to watch those soothing ASMR videos to put you to sleep, but the next thing you know, you wake up to Johnny Olsen over the classic Match Game theme, 'cause that's how you roll watching GSN. Let's start the first one, Hilty, irish jig me.
(quick fade out) Back to the little blog that could and the 2nd period starts off with network changes....
*At 12:00pm, GSN will air 1 vs. 100, the half-hour version with Carrie Ann Inaba; replacing Woolery Lingo. *(Update) Bill Engvall's Lingo will air weekdays at 12:30pm; replacing the Chuck Woolery version *At 5:00pm, GSN will air 1 vs. 100, with Bob Saget; replacing Shop 'Til You Drop
It seems that the 1/2 hour 1 vs. 100 returns to the network after a long while, but a nightmare returns afterwards. As for Bible, it'll have a 2-hour season premiere in late May. What about It Takes a Church, you ask? Well, June 5th would be the date you have to see it to believe it. But what about The Chase? Well, season 3 would be that predicament, in fact, GSN decided to go for it and have aiuditions in New York, Chicago, LA and more. Hit up chasecasting.com for the deets.
Every year, we bring in a batch of new shows to see what works and what doesn't. The 2014-15 upfronts are here.
- IDIOT TEST, hosted by comedian Ben Gleib and based on the highly popular app game, gives two pairs of contestants with a preexisting rivalry in anything from colleges (i.e. UCLA vs USC) to sci fi (i.e. "Star Trek" fans vs. "Star Wars" fans), the opportunity to face off to determine once and for all, which teams of two are the true "Idiots." The rival pairs will go head to head in several rounds of rapid-fire questions whose answers any "idiot" should know: the questions, taken from the game, test observation and attention to detail as much as they test general knowledge. The contestant pairs will really need to be on their toes to come out on top. IDIOT TEST is executive produced by Adam Rosenblatt, Jamie Rosenblatt, and Christian Horner of H2R Productions; Ryan Devlin and Shawn Greenson of He Shoots, He Scores Productions; and Larry Barron and Ryan Curtis. Mark Cronin of Little Wooden Boat Productions will also serve as Executive Producer. (40 X :30)
2 piliots were ordered like a fast food customer. They are:
- APP WARS: Got the next Flappy Bird? How many times have you seen a hot app and thought, 'I could have thought of that?" APP WARS gives fledgling app creators their chance at stardom. In each self-contained show, five contestants present their original app ideas to a panel of judges. The top three ideas continue on as contestants are paired with mentors who help develop the look, feel and functionality of the apps. After a final beta-testing showdown between the top two contestants, our panel awards a cash prize. APP WARS is executive produced by Cheri Brownlee of Cheri Sundae Productions.
- SAY WHAT? We've been playing a version of Telephone since we were kids. SAY WHAT? (working title) brings the childhood favorite into the 21st Century. Based on a format from Nippon Television, SAY WHAT? (working title) is a humorous contest that pits two teams of five against one another in a high stakes test of memory. The teams initially must pass a phrase or expression down their telephone chain before a timed partition drops between them. The tension ratchets up in our next round as contestants utilize everything from art supplies to musical instruments on their way to EXTREME TELEPHONE, the high-paced third round. The winning team goes on to the bonus round for an opportunity to win big money in this fun and frenetic game. SAY WHAT? (working title) is executive produced by Kevin Healey and Jesse Fawcett of Essential 11 Television along with Darryl Trell and Howard Kitrosser of Smoke And Mirrors Creative.
I chose the latter over the other. The originals in development have a chance like getting a puppy at the shelter. They are:
- THE TUNNEL (working title): The human mind is like a maze. THE TUNNEL (working title) puts contestants there, literally. Combining trivia knowledge with chess-like cunning - all in the dark! The game pits three trivia buffs against one another - each in their own physical tunnel. After answering a question correctly, a contestant gets one step closer to exiting THE TUNNEL and a cash prize. But in addition to moving toward escape, contestants must block their opponents' moves by memorizing players' locations. Our winning player takes home the cash of defeated opponents, making strategy as critical as trivia knowledge. THE TUNNEL (working title) is a game of skill, memory, and strategy. Based on a format from Absolutely Independent and executive produced by Scott St. John ("Deal or No Deal") of Entertain The Brutes.
This oughta be fun.
- HEAVY BETTERS (working title): Put your money where your mouth is. Diet bets are popping up everywhere - online, in gyms, at weight-loss classes, and especially as intense wagers among friends, spouses, and coworkers. They're big because they work. Those who stood to lose money if they didn't succeed in shedding weight were about five times as likely to reach their goal. HEAVY BETTERS (working title), goes inside the diet betting craze sweeping the nation as two teams of plus-size co-workers compete against each other in the ultimate weight loss wager. For the winning team a cash prize awaits - but will all the co-workers pull their own weight? HEAVY BETTERS (working title) is an original format from GSN & Savannah Media. Eric Evangelista and Shannon Evangelista of Hot Snakes Media serve as Executive Producers along with Richard Drew of Savannah Media.
- THE LINE is a traveling game show that sets up shop in different cities across America. Potential contestants will join THE LINE in the hopes of making it to the front of the line to the Tent where contestants enter one at a time to try to win the jackpot. But in this game, getting to the front of the line is part of the challenge. The road to the tent is fraught with chances to move up, move or be eliminated altogether. THE LINE will culminate with a season finale that will air on live television on GSN. THE LINE is from ITV Studios and High Noon Entertainment.
No. No no no.
STAR CROSSED LOVERS (working title)
You have notoriously bad taste in lovers. Online dating is a bust, and your friend's setups are even worse. It's time for a radical new approach to dating. STAR CROSSED LOVERS is a new twist on a dating game designed to help lovelorn singles find their perfect match by crowd-sourcing opinions from the ones we trust the most - celebrities! After a series of getting-to-know-you games with the participation of a panel of fun, opinionated stars -- the Bachelorette (or Bachelor) will have to choose a match. If his/her pick matches the panel's, the new couple will win an extravagant date. STAR CROSSED LOVERS is a World of Wonder Production with Randy Barbato, Fenton Bailey and Tom Campbell Serving as Executive Producers.
Finally, a shoutout to David Brenner. A comedian who died at 78, known for his Tonight show-appearances and seen on GSN over the years. RIP David.
On to the 2nd intermission presented by swagbucks.com. This past week, we said goodbye to one of my favorite shows of the year: Crazy Hearts Nashville. How did a show have hype in mags, premiere on a Thursday, move to Saturday afternoons and cancel it altogether.? Well, competition from such shows as Duck Dynasty and whatever else on A&E, but Amy Wilcox, IMO is a breaskout star anyway you look at it. Here's one song she's about to sing right now.
Okay, on to the 3rd period.
Watching $ale of the Century can be fun. Watching $ale with audio problems....no so much. I've seen people talk about what causes the problem. Well, a weight-loss ad called Nutrisystem make it no audio, out of sync or whatever. This is not fun for a person who watched GSN their whole life. Why did they put a commercial for a weight loss food company known for some men losing weight eating man food, Marie Osmond and countless others rig in shows in the morning out of the speakers from the control room to your speakers on TV? I don't know. My bet is to get rid of it once and for all. It can happen.